Go to ...
RSS Feed

Is a Boycott of Pro Sports Coming?

by Alex Lloyd Gross

With the threat of coronacirus , pro sports are slowly making a return to stadiums but without fans.  With the Black Lives Matter protests and riots,  many teams  and leagues have taken to promoting, some say blindly,  the Black Lives Matter agenda.  Some fans  think it is a great and wonderful thing. They see nothing wrong with players kneeling for the anthem,  and signage everywhere. They call it being “woke”  and support and participate in the narrative.The killing of George Floyd was the straw that broke the camel’s back. No one says the peaceful demonstrations were not righteous. Everyone agrees in justice for George Floyd.

The agenda for Black Lives Matter has morphed itself into so many different faces, it is not recognizable. It is now about defunding and abolishing the police.. It is about taking away the American Flag and the National Anthem. Some members of this “crusade”  say the flag is not their flag. They want a new one and a new anthem as well. That is the conundrum for pro sports. By endorsing this group, they are endorsing the fringe agenda of people who claim affiliation with BLM.   When Colin Kaepernick took a knee for the anthem and other players  started doing it,  a good number of fans stayed home. Some football stadiums were half empty.

As baseball returns, fans watching are seeing entire teams kneeling during the anthem. While some fans are enthusiastic about it,  others are not. “I’m not going to see this  I’m done,” said an anonymous source , a 12 year veteran of the Phila Police Department  He is not alone. All over social media, people have vowed to stay away and tune out of professional sports. Just how many will actually do remains to be seen.  According to social media posts of people advocating for the boycott, it has nothing to do with black people. This movement away from pro sports is growing. The interest in sports has ebbed . Younger people  are moving away from sports and playing video games or creating their own content via Youtube or other social media. Some sports  stations have delved into political commentary.

It has to do with the incessant narrative of getting rid of the police. In the past 30 days, The Washington Redskins were pressured to give up their name  which was called “offensive” by some. They  are now the Washington Football Team.  Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben have been taken off brands, and cartoon characters have been disarmed. People are tired of a vocal minority being offended so an entire society must change. It also has to do with the riots going on in Portland and Seattle. By flying the Black Lives Matter banner, it is an approval by the team of the  actions taken by some under the BLM  name.  Black Lives Matter has done nothing to distance themselves from this lawlessness.

A great analogy would be calling a taxi and having the radio on to a station you don;t like,. A sign in the taxi says all taxis run by this company will have this on for your entertainment.  Would you call them again or find alternate transportation?  Those people that do not share the narrative of the protesters are finding alternate entertainment. Some are spending more time with their families. Others are taking day trips.

The other part of the equation that people are rising up against is the obscene pay of athletes. As some players complain about not getting their full salary  to play in an empty stadium,  the stadium  employees are out of work. They are not alone. Many jobs are gone forever.  Either the place of employment has been closed due to the coronavirus or it was burned down in the riots.  Unemployment claims are rising and people do not have money for tickets, let alone $25.00 parking,  or $25.00 for  one meal that would lost a fraction of that  away from the stadium.  Out of work people, or people working for a fraction of their pay have no extra dollars to spend and when they do, they want to enjoy it, and spend it on a local, struggling business. Not  making the rich even richer.

A meme found on social media

To add insult to this entire mess,  a small number of professional athletes  are making Anti-Semitic comments and getting away with it by claiming ignorance.  Social media is buzzing about a pro sports boycott. Many see the symbolism as support for lawbreakers.  When fans are allowed to return,  will police have enough manpower to cover  those events? Who will pay for police protection at games?  Will those officers be supported by fans in the stands?

Alex Lloyd Gross
Alex Lloyd Gross has the reputation for aggressive news coverage. With over 40 years experience including working at The News Gleaner, and had his work published in books and magazines that span the entire globe. With a strong background in emergency service related topics, he can bring forth a perspective that others cannot.
A contributor to Starfile Photo Agency for 20 years, Alex has been given access to and has photographed luminaries of both stage and screen.
He now shares his talent with you.

Tags: ,

14 Responses “Is a Boycott of Pro Sports Coming?”

1. skip
    July 26, 2020 at 2:52 pm

I have been tuning out pro sports for a few years now. Especially the NFL and the NBA. I thought MLB wouldn’t get political. I thought wrong. I don’t need this crap.

• Alan Gould
      August 5, 2020 at 6:15 am

Same here in Britain🤔👎
      Kneeling,Black Power salutes,badges on TV pundits,TV adverts,
      slogans on pitches,logos on shirts and now for me,worst of all?
      Black Lives Matter is being pushed into British boxing,the one sport I have always loved.I only got BT Sport and added Sky Sports Main Event so I could get 90% more boxing?
      And now they are pushing these terrorists into boxing,just like they have in ruining other sports!
      I have appealed to them to stop but they won’t care.They think pandering to the mob and virtue signalling is worth more than the
      customers who pay for it!

2. Weezy
    July 29, 2020 at 4:23 am

Athletes are caving to the anarchists demands (Drew Brees) out of fear of losing the careers that they’d worked so hard to achieve. We the People have a one-time opportunity to show the world that we will not support the organized destruction of these United States. Boycotting professional sports is the first step in taking back our birthright to be proud Americans! Take a stand!

3. Martell Jones
    July 30, 2020 at 1:53 am

All pro and college sports teams care about one thing. Revenue. Hit them in the pocketbook and they will be forced to change, if these athletes want to keep getting those ridiculous salaries.

4. John
    July 30, 2020 at 2:49 pm

It’s absurd that people will complain and moan and despise a country that allows them to play a child’s game and get paid millions for it. The lack of self-awareness these athletes have would be comical if it wasn’t so sad. I’m personally done with sports. We all watch sports for entertainment and to get away from real-life problems. Now, they’ve ruined that. Well, let’s see how political they are once the money stops rolling in. They’re all a bunch of hypocrites. Tim Tebow was accosted daily by the media when he would kneel (not for the flag) but in prayer during a game. But, all these jokers are applauded and worshipped by the same media outlets because they are kneeling against the country that gives them immeasurable comforts. Pathetic.

5. Brian
    July 30, 2020 at 10:58 pm

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was in a very small minority of fans who have had enough of those who use this platform to push their political/cultural/ideological agendas. I’m glad I am not alone. I would be against this madness if they used it to promote a right wing ideologic agenda. Our flag, our anthem is not left wing or right wing, it is America. Our history, with all of its warts and scars, is still our history. Now that even the ‘Great American Past Time’ has been co opted by a mob that wishes to shove their Marxist viewpoints down the throats of those who are simply enjoying a sport, a game, a diversion-I’m done. Checked out. I’m sure they will all do just OK without me.
    At 66 years old and a life long Cub’s fan, at least the sport survived long enough for me to see them win a World Series. However in hindsight I should have known that was the sign of the beginning of the Apocalypse.

6. Dave
    July 31, 2020 at 10:31 am

Those overpaid and over privileged divas will not miss the viewership of average, everyday people; the very ones who think that Derek Chauvin should go to jail for the rest of his life and that the Minneapolis City Council should be held accountable for permitting this thug to remain in law enforcement after 18 official complaints filed against him, a matter Communist News Network and even Fox News Channel fail to mention. Keep kneeling divas as it is your constitutional right. It is also my right to choose not to watch fake news, fake basketball, fake wrestling…what can I say, all the world’s a stage…

7. Andy
    July 31, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I have refused to watch any sports since kneeling. They are blaming the white (Police officer) person for all the problems. Have they looked in the stands? Have they looked at the bars? I really hate it for the bar owners and the staff but people need to turn off the T.V. for all major sports. If sponsors aren’t making money they won’t be paying them. If you watch people kneeling and condoning hating someone then you are part of the problem. One year boycott and all the kneeling goes away. If things keep going the way they are and the working taxpaying person doesn’t stand up someone is going to be in your backyard in the near future and not just on the streets of Portland. Be strong and be proud to be an American.

8. August 1, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Finally…a true opinion about how 95% of us feel

9. TP
    August 1, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Left pro sports years ago. The “we have to play fair” nonsense along with multi million dollar a year kids did it for me. Better ways to spend my time and life then supporting arrogant peckerheads ! Political statement simply is another form of alienating your customers. Let others pay for it.

10. Chip
    August 2, 2020 at 10:13 am

As of today, Hockey is literally and figuratively beginning to bend the knee, as well. I had already turned my back on the NFL and hockey was my last hope. Things won’t change, with my leaving with my wallet as there are too many sheep, but I won’t be a part of this, my principles are more important, and I won’t allow a senseless mob tell me what to think and do just for the sake of watching a spoiled millionaire throw a ball.

11. August 2, 2020 at 5:05 pm

I have loved professional football, baseball and basketball for my entire life. I applaud the athletic excellence and the entertainment provided. On the other hand, millions of fans are working folks who look to Saturdays and Sundays for relaxation and a break from strain and stress. While there are societal issues I support, if well-paid athletes insist on shoving their agenda down my throat on weekends, I will walk away forever from sports on television. Professional athletes should feel free to pursue their causes. but not on my dime and weekend time. Count me in for total boycott; sign me up!!!

12. Patrick Hackett
    August 3, 2020 at 10:22 am

I’ve been boycotting professional football for 3 years. It’s a total disgrace what’s happening in this country but I’m now going to boycott not just professional football but all professional sports. We just had a black president for eight years all our major cities are run by black mayors. All I professional sports at majority of black people making multi millions of dollars. They have affirmative action in other words they get promoted because of the color of their skin. And now they demand their own national anthem. This is destroying the United States and let’s not forget a divided nation will not stand. And by the way I’ll never Watch professional sports and I’ll never buy Nike or drink my coffee at Starbucks and many other corporations and I’ve got nine hundred employees.

13. Adam
    August 4, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Fuck pro sports
    Communist sympathizers.im done with them crybabies.