by Alex Lloyd Gross
The Montgomery County District Attorney screwed up big time when Kevin R. Steele brought rape charges against the aging entertainer. The problem with that was Kevin Steele did not honor the agreement between Cosby and then District Attorney Bruce Castor. Castor promised Cosby that if he testified truthfully in depositions in a civil case against him, by Andrea Constand in 2004. he would not use that testimony and no charges would be filed.
In 2018 Steele got a conviction against Cosby and secured a three to 10 year prison sentence against him. Today, June 30, 2021 the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled in Cosby’s favor and bared any further prosecution against him. Cosby was ordered released and will be picked up from prison by his publicist Andrew Wyatt. Cosby will be transported to his home in Elkins Park.
While in prison, Cosby refused to take any responsibility for the accusations leveled against him. He steadfastly maintained that he never had non consensual sexual encounters with anyone. He was denied parole due to the fact he never took any classes or participated in any therapy, stating that he would do the full decade in prison before he admitted to wrong doing. Cosby served just under three years in prison.
Cosby will return home a free man but his ongoing health problems will most probably hinder any type of comeback. Even if he did, it is doubtful any companies would sponsor any television show he is on. He was paid millions of dollars to advertise products such as The New Coke, which failed miserably, in spite of Cosby’s endorsement.
He was the recipient of many awards and those awards and titled were rescinded. According to Wikipedia, they are:
- 2011: Received Honorary Chief Petty Officer from U.S. Navy. Revoked December 4, 2014.
- 2009: Received the Marian Anderson Award. Rescinded May 3, 2018.
- 1998: Received the Kennedy Center Honor. Rescinded May 7, 2018.
- 2009: Presented with the 12th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Rescinded May 7, 2018.
- 2002: Received the TCA Career Achievement Award. Rescinded September 25, 2018.
- May 3, 2018 Cosby was expelled as a member of the Actors Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- He lost his spot as a Trustee at Temple University. He was a fixture at the Penn Relays.
- Bill Cosby was at time time one of the most respected people in America.