Convicted Armed Carjacker Gets Over Two Decades In Federal Prison For Northeast Philly Crimes



US ATTORNEY DAVID METCALF- PHOTO ALEX LLOYD GROSS /DELAWARE VALLEY NEWS.COM

United States Attorney David Metcalf announced that Symair Carson-Williams, aka “Lil Meer,” 20, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was sentenced today to 253 months in prison, three years of supervised release, and over $10,000 in restitution by United States District Judge Gerald A. McHugh for taking part in a carjacking spree in the city in early 2024.

Carson-Williams was charged by indictment in May 2024 with conspiracy to commit carjacking, three counts of carjacking, and three counts of using a firearm in relation to a crime of violence. In March of last year, he was convicted on all charges at trial.

As proven at trial, the defendant was part of a group that conspired to commit three armed carjackings in Philadelphia in less than one hour. Video surveillance footage, cell phone data, forensic evidence, items recovered from one of the stolen vehicles, and victim testimony linked Carson-Williams to the carjackings.

Carson-Williams and his co-conspirators first stole a blue 2019 Honda CR-V from the 1800 block of Lansing Street in Philadelphia during the overnight hours of January 27, 2024.

Approximately 90 minutes later, just before 5 a.m., they drove the stolen CR-V to the Sunoco gas station located on the 5300 block of North 5th Street and pulled up next to a 67-year-old man putting air in his car’s tires. Two of the offenders jumped out of the CR-V, both armed with handguns, wearing black clothing and black balaclava masks, and demanded that the victim give up the keys to his 2011 BMW 328i. One of the offenders put a gun to the back of the man’s head and forced him to the ground. When the victim told the males that the key was in the car, one of the carjackers entered the BMW and the other male returned to the Honda CR-V. Both vehicles fled the scene.

At approximately 5:15 a.m., a 34-year-old man parked his gray 2013 Chevrolet Equinox on Shelmire Avenue in the northeast section of the city. Two of the carjackers suddenly ran up to the driver’s side of his car and pointed guns at him. As they held the victim at gunpoint, the stolen Honda CR-V drove up. The gunmen ordered the victim to lay on the ground with his face down and threatened to shoot him if he got up. The offenders then stole the victim’s vehicle and personal possessions, including his wallet, money, watch, and power tools.

Finally, at approximately 5:45 a.m., the stolen blue CR-V pulled up next to a 54-year-old man pumping gas at the Conoco station on the 5700 block of Rising Sun Avenue. Two of the offenders, both armed with handguns, approached the victim and pointed the guns at his face. After forcing the victim to the ground at gunpoint, one of the carjackers got behind the wheel of the victim’s Honda Accord, and the other male reentered the CR-V. Both vehicles fled in the same direction.

“The victims of these carjackings were on their morning routines, when Symair Carson-Williams and his co-conspirators put a gun to their heads and made them fear for their lives,” said U.S. Attorney Metcalf. “Today’s sentence demonstrates that if you terrorize the people of Philadelphia, you can expect life-changing consequences. This defendant, now 20, will be spending more than 21 years behind bars.”

“Federal carjacking penalties are severe, and Carson-Williams will spend many years in prison for this triple-carjacking spree,” said Eric DeGree, Special Agent in Charge of the ATF’s Philadelphia Field Division. “Together with our Carjacking Task Force partners and using ATF’s unique forensic and investigative tools, we are making Philadelphia’s streets safer by bringing criminals like this to justice.”


Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *