By Alex Lloyd Gross
A fast moving two alarm fire destroyed a boarding house in the Frankford section of the city early today, October 26, 2018. Two people went to the hospital with non life threatening injuries, fire department officials said at the scene. The boarding house, located on the 4600 block of Paul Street was reported at 11:00 am. Within minutes, the first fire trucks arrived and reported heavy fire through the roof.
The residents were rescued and transported to Temple Hospital. No cause was determined at press time. This is around the corner from a firehouse in Frankford that had it’s engine company ( Engine14) closed by the Nutter administration. Only ladder 15 operates out of the house now. Fire crews spent a good amount of time laying in heavy water lines. That meant streets in the neighborhood had to be closed to keep people from driving over the hoses. There were no cops to direct the traffic, which saw multiple vehicles snake down one way streets the wrong way, to get away from the area.
Two businesses that were adjacent to the boarding home suffered damage as well.